Disciplinary Conduct Policy

  • Any member of the student body or the faculty and staff may bring an allegation of serious or continued abusive behavior to the attention of the disciplinary committee. Such allegations must be made in writing.
  • The disciplinary committee will determine whether the alleged conduct is appropriate for investigation. If the committee members consider it to be serious enough to warrant examination, they will gather evidence and take testimony from both the person reporting the misconduct and the student accused of misconduct.
  • Both sides will have two weeks in which to present evidence about the case. The disciplinary committee will render a decision within one week of having received all evidence, and will send written notification of its decision to all concerned parties. It will also determine appropriate penalties, which may range from a period of probation to expulsion from the university.
  • A final appeal may be made to the university president within one week of the disciplinary committee's decision. The determination of the president will be final and binding.
  • The West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission encourages students to seek first informal resolution of any concern or issue. If the issue cannot be resolved informally, the student should follow the institution’s formal complaint or grievance procedure. If, after exhausting the institution’s internal grievance procedures, the institution has not responded to the student’s satisfaction or a satisfactory remedy has not been found, the student may contact the Commission for further investigation into the issue. Upon receipt of a complaint, the Commission may conduct an investigation or refer the issue to another agency that is authorized to address the issue. The Commission may contact institution officials to discuss a possible resolution. Instructions for filing a complaint with the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission can be found at http://www.wvhepc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Student-Complaint-Process-revised-3.pdf. Students will not be subject to adverse actions by the university as a result of filing a complaint. Maryland students may have recourse to the MD Attorney General's Office Consumer Protection Division 200 St. Paul St. Baltimore, MD 21202, 410-528-8662/888-743-0823, or to the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Virginia students have recourse to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia, (SCHEV). Students may also choose to file a complaint with our accrediting body Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) 1601 18th Street, N.W., Suite 2 Washington, D.C. 20009, 202-234-5100.